The Neversink Valley Museum
of History and Innovation
A private, non-profit organization, the Museum occupies historic canal-era buildings in the D&H Canal Park right on the Neversink River. In addition to our exhibitions, the museum provides various educational activities for children and adults throughout the year.
The Museum is chartered by the New York State Education Department and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO THE BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION ON ROUTE 209, THE HOAG ROAD ENTRANCE CLOSEST TO THE BRIDGE IS CLOSED. PLEASE USE THE MORE NORTHERLY ENTRANCE (NEAR SUDDEBACKVILLE AUTO REPAIR STATION) AND FOLLOW HOAG ROAD AROUND UNTIL YOU SEE THE MUSEUM.
Our New Events Schedule will be available soon.
This year's Film Series is Sponsored by public funds from NYSCA
Arts In Orange
Don't forget to check us out on FACEBOOK.
Look for The Neversink Valley Museum
and join our page.
And Click HERE to see our future Cultural and Community Center
Experience the history of the Delaware & Hudson Canal
The D & H Canal, conceived as a means to get coal from Pennsylvania to New York City, was dug and blasted through 108 miles of wilderness by 2,500 men and 200 teams of horses linking the Delaware River to the Hudson in an engineering feat employing 108 locks.
You can see artifacts from the canal and its boats, learn about life on the canal, visit a canal boat cabin replica, hear canal songs, take a self-guided walking tour and explore canal remains to imagine what it was like to live along the canal over a century ago.
NEW EXHIBIT :
SNAPSHOT OF A FAMILY: Papers from the E. Westbrook Family from the 1700 and 1800's
This exhibit of family papers rescued from the fires shows an interesting snapshot of the life of the Westbrook Family.
(Made possible in part by a grant from the New York Council for the Humanities and the Orange County Historian's Office)
Discover the beauty of the Neversink Valley
This lovely region of Orange County is home to the Neversink, the Minisink, the amazing D&H Canal, a rich archaeological history and a network of small museums and historical societies devoted to presenting it all to you. Join us at the Neversink Valley Area Museum and our sister institutions for a tour of the natural beauty and rich history of our little corner of New York State.
Located along the banks of the beautiful Neversink River, D&H Canal Park, home to our museum, has a well-preserved section of the canal and numerous canal-era buildings. This historic complex is so well preserved and so historically significant that it has been designated a National Historic Landmark.
Admission to the Museum includes:
Exhibitions such as Black Diamonds and the D&H Canal with videos, artifacts, a working lock model, photographs and information on canal technology, history, boating and canal life, Orange County Archaeology, a joint exhibition with the Orange County Chapter of the NYS Archaeology Society on the history of the Lenape Native Americans, The Artistry of the Blacksmith; which illustrates the art and life of the blacksmith in our working blacksmith shop and Movies Before Hollywood, a look at the early motion picture industry and the film pioneers who worked in this region.
- A self-guided written walking tour of the one-mile section of the D&H Canal in the park
- Large herb garden and Lenape Native American Three-Sister's Garden of corn, beans and squash
- The Museum Store with a large selection of canal and local history publications, stationary, cards, toys and gifts.
- Admission is $3.00 for adults, $1.50 for children, members entry is free
The Museum also provides:
- Educational programs for adults, including lectures on the D&H Canal, Early Movie Making on the East Coast and local history, nature and canal walks and workshops. Click Here for our program schedule!
- Educational programs for school groups including a three hour D&H Canal program for fourth and fifth grade students and a three hour Lenape Native American program for first to fourth grade students.
- A library on the D&H Canal and local history (open by appointment only).
Spend the day with us in Orange County
- Enjoy HISTORY by exploring canal remains!
- Enjoy NATURE by hiking through the beautiful park!
- Enjoy a RELAXING DAY by picnicking under the trees!
- Enjoy OUTDOOR SPORTS by fishing in the trout-stocked Neversink River, and cross country skiing or biking the D&H Canal towpath trail!
(Since June 10, 2007)